Jamboree may refer to:
- Jamboree (Scouting), a large gathering of Scouts
Jamboree, a country music program aired since 1933 on WWVA (AM)
- Jamboree in the Hills, an annual four-day-long country music festival held in Morristown, Ohio
- Big D Jamboree, a country music program aired since 1947 on KRLD
- Havelock Country Jamboree, country music festival held annually in rural Ontario
- Jamboree, an annual concert held at Billy's Flea Market near Bassett, Virginia
- Jamboree (1944 film), a 1944 film by Joseph Santley
- Jamboree (1957 film) (also known as Disc Jockey Jamboree in the UK), a 1957 rock 'n' roll motion picture by Roy Lockwood and featuring many of the big acts of that period
- Jamboree (1956 radio series), a 1956 Radio Luxembourg series featuring disc-jockey Alan Freed on Saturday nights
- Jamboree (Guadalcanal Diary album), a 1988 album by Guadalcanal Diary
- Jamboree (Beat Happening album), a 1988 album by Beat Happening
- John Safran's Music Jamboree, a 2002 Australian television series
- Country Bear Jamboree, an attraction at Disney Parks
- A type of hand instrument more commonly referred to as a Tambourine
- A musical composition for string instruments
EtymologyThe etymology of this term has several possible origins, ranging from Hindi to Swahili to Native American dialects. It may also be related to corroboree, an Australian Aboriginal term for any noisy, late-night gathering or disturbance.
Baden-Powell chose the name as rally, meeting and gathering in the international scouting movement. The name is thought to be derived from the Swahili for hello, jambo, as a result of the considerable amount of time he spent in the region. At the first world jamboree at Olympia in 1920, Lord Baden-Powell said "People give different meanings for this word, but from this year on, jamboree will take a specific meaning. It will be associated to the largest gathering of youth that ever took place."
The term 'jamboree' is also commonly used by the Australian Aboriginal Pitjanjarra tribe meaning 'Feast of tree grubs'.
jamboree in French: Jamboree
jamboree in Italian: Jamboree
jamboree in Dutch: Jamboree
Mardi Gras, Saturnalia, banquet, blowout, carnival, carouse, celebration, charivari, do, fair, feast, festival, festive occasion, festivity, fete, field day, fiesta, frolic, gala, gala affair, gala day, gathering, get-together, great doings, high jinks, jubilee, kermis, party, picnic, revelry, revels, spree, waygoose, wayzgoose